A spiced and slightly tart dessert with less than 7 ingredients.
It’s Aquarius season so I’m getting experimental with my desserts! I wanted to create something light but warming to offset these dour winter days. I love a citrusy element in my treats, and the turmeric seemed a perfect partner to the grapefruit in color and health benefit.
- Use a ruby red grapefruit for optimum flavor.
- A stand mixer, hand mixer, or whisk can be used to make the meringue, but be ready for a workout if you’re beating the egg whites by hand!
- Be HYPER-aware of how long you leave the meringue in the oven. It can go from white to charred real quick.
Turmeric Tapioca Pudding w/ Grapefruit Meringue
- 1 package (3 oz.) tapioca pudding mix
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- pinch black pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Grapefruit: 1/4 cup juice + 1.5- 2 teaspoons zest
Preheat oven to 350.
Make tapioca pudding according to package directions; add turmeric and black pepper while still warm. Add egg whites to spotlessly clean bowl and whisk (medium high speed) until foamy. Add sugar and continue to whisk until soft peaks are formed, then pour grapefruit juice and zest into meringue mixture. Cease whisking when peaks are firm and glossy.
Divide pudding evenly into small ramekins. Using a spoon or batter spatula, top puddings with meringue. I like mine pretty billowy- so go crazy if you want! Place puddings on a baking sheet and cook for 6-8 minutes or whenever meringue has golden-brown peaks). Let cool and enjoy!