My new favorite dessert. Make this before rhubarb season is over!
This was my first experience baking with rhubarb and what a treat! This tart, sweet, gooey, and crumbly experience is one I want to have over and over again. Using fresh, seasonal ingredients makes any meal sweeter.
I cannot wait to be in social mode and make this for friends. Paired with a crisp Cabernet Franc or Sauvignon Blanc, you have a one dish party. Make it and see for yourself!
BLUEBERRY RHUBARB CRISP
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Place berries and rhubarb in a 6×10 baking dish or iron skillet and toss with cinnamon, salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch.
- Combine flour, oats, butter, and remaining sugar together in a medium bowl. Incorporate butter with your hands or pastry cutter until mixture has a crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle crumble over fruit until covered. Bake for 40-45 minutes. The crisp should be golden and fruit bubbling.
- If some of your crisp is absorbed by the fruit during baking , toast additional oats with butter, cinnamon sugar over medium heat and sprinkle on top.
- Cool and enjoy!