Classic apple upside down cake gets a new twist from the deep, sultry flavor of Chinese five spice powder. Caramelized apples and moist vanilla cake make for a delicious fall treat. This apple upside down cake is easy to make in a cake pan or skillet- so make and have a slice of the autumn season!
Apple season is in full swing and here’s the perfect way to celebrate! A delectable layer of soft apples cooked in butter, brown sugar, and spices makes a perfect slice on cool nights. It’s an old fashioned upside down cake recipe that is made even more memorable with warming flavors. Use the apples on your counter to create a beautiful dessert in under an hour.
Chinese five spice is a blend of clove, cinnamon, fennel, peppercorns, and star anise. Each ingredients deepens the natural sweetness of apple. The blend also complements the simple elegance of the scratch-made vanilla cake. Make Five Spice Apple Upside Down Cake when you want a perfect bite of sticky, spiced comfort.
Wondering what to do with all those apples you bought? This cake is the perfect solution, but other fruits could be substituted for an equally lovely result. Pears, plums, and of course pineapples would also meld well with the spice blend. The process is simple: melt butter, add sugar and fruit, then dollop the cake batter on top. I used my 10 inch cast iron skillet, but feel free to use a 9 X 9 baking dish or a round cake pan.
I think y’all are going to love this Five Spice Apple Upside Down Cake. Perfect for the holidays or anytime. The luscious aromas that fill the kitchen will have you coming back to this recipe over and over again. Please rate below if you make it at home. And you can always see what I’m cooking up on Instagram. Happy Baking!
Five Spice Apple Upside Down Cake
- 10 inch cake pan or skillet
- *optional stand mixer
- 3 large apples cored, peeled, and cut into thick slices or 2 cups
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk preferably whole
- In a shallow saucepan , melt butter. Then add water, brown sugar, and five spice powder. Mix well and wait for bubbling to begin. Add apples and cook until they begin to soften. Remove from heat. Pour apples and syrup into cake pan/ skillet. Arrange in a pattern if desired.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy in texture. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add to cream mixture alternately with milk.
- Using a large spoon, dollop cake batter over the apples and syrup. Spread batter to the edges of pan until all fruit is covered. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cake tester emerges clean. Immediately flip cake over onto a large plate.