These amazing baked donuts donuts combine the spice of sweet potato pie, crunch of thinly sliced almonds, and pillow like texture of a classic cake doughnut. Sweet potato almond donuts are easy and fall friendly with so much flavor!
Sweet Potato Almond Cake Donuts are the coziest, most delicious spiced treats with the taste of the holidays baked inside. A quick, easy alternative to frying yeast doughnuts, baked doughnuts are great when you want something sweet in a hurry! A vanilla glaze beautifully coats the rings of rich flavor.
Cake donuts are my favorite. While there’s nothing wrong with a traditional, yeast-based donuts, cake donuts are easy, moist, and so much fun to experiment with. Imagine a slice of fragrant slice of sweet potato pie turned donut. The almonds add a fun, unexpected texture. This recipe is my ode to all of the best flavors that fall has to offer.
My sweet potato almond donut recipe will fill your home with the familiar smells of the holiday table. Spicy sweet nutmeg and the richness of melted butter are waiting in every bite. These are a personal favorite; I am a sweet potato fan year round, but there’s something special about indulging when the temperatures drop. Try one in the morning paired with coffee or tea. Or anytime.
It’s the time of year when lots of people are baking- preparing for the upcoming holidays or maybe looking for refuge from cold weather. It’s 77° in Nashville right now, so I can’t exactly relate to cold weather, but I do love baking for fall. I know y’all will enjoy this recipe. Be warned- it’s hard to have just one! If you haven’t already, check me out on Instagram . Happy Baking!
Sweet Potato Almond Donuts
- donut pans (2)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup crushed almonds
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease or spray donut pans.
- Combine all dry ingredients with whisk. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet donut ingredients, including sweet potato. Add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture, stirring just until fully combined. Fold in crushed almonds.
- Using a large spoon, fill both donut pans. Each donut cavity should be full. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until donut is springy and firm.
- *Glaze: Combine all ingredients with whisk and drizzle desired amount on donuts. Donuts can also be dipped while warm for a more traditional glazed look. Garnish with slivered almonds.