Sweet Potato Macarons
The classic French cookie sandwich filled with a spiced, silky bite of sweet potato.
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large egg whites room temp
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweet potato cooked mashed
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325. Sift almond flour and powdered sugar together through a fine sieve and into a medium bowl. Set aside.
Beat egg whites with a hand/ stand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, then add granulated sugar and vanilla. Continue to beat until peaks are stiff and shiny.
Gently fold in dry ingredients until mixture is smooth (see photo above) and slightly runny. Overfolding will result in flat, cracked shells.
Transfer mixture to a piping bag. Pipe 1 or 1 1/2″ rounds on parchment lined baking sheets one inch apart. Let piped macarons stand uncovered for 20 minutes to form a skin.
Bake for 9-12 minutes or until shells have risen and are set. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes.
Combine all filling ingredients and cream with a hand mixer until mixture is fluffy. Spread generously on shells and sandwich.
- Bake your sweet potatoes a day ahead. The macaron- making will need your undivided attention.
- You’ll need a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch tip. I actually got mine from the Dollar Tree
- Once your shells are in the oven, watch them obsessively. They should be light in color with defined feet.