Buttermilk Habanero Chicken Stew
A creamy, gluten free chicken stew with serious kick.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large bone-in chicken thighs about 2 lbs
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup minced habanero pepper *1/3 cup for extra heat
- 2 cup broth or water
- 1 cup buttermilk divided into 3/4 and 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup honey
Place dutch oven on medium-high heat, swirling olive oil to coat bottom evenly. When a bit of smoke appears, place chicken thighs skin side down in pan. Sear until skin is a deep golden brown and crisp, or 3-5 minutes. Remove thighs and set aside.
Sautee onions and peppers in fat remaining in pan. Cook slowly until onions are caramelized. Reduce heat and add thighs, broth, and buttermilk. Cover and let simmer for 50-55 minutes. Taste stew and season generously with salt and pepper.
Remove chicken thighs, let cool slightly, and debone-making sure to remove any cartilage or excess fat. Using a shredder or fork tines, tear chicken into bite sized strips. Add back to buttermilk texture. Finish by gently stirring in honey and remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk.
- Be sure to season chicken well with salt and pepper before browning
- When working with habanero peppers, be relentless about hand washing. You don't want to accidentally get that stuff in your eye.
- I used skin on, bone in thighs for optimal flavor, but use what you have! Smaller or skinless thighs will have a significantly lower browning time.
- If you want to kick the heat up a notch, add additional habanero in 1/2 tbsp increments to suit your taste.